So, after a little poll I did on my Instagram, turns out my sweet tooth friends won. So here’s a little spontaneous ‘sweet’ recipe I came up with this morning for breakfast. It’s creamy, comforting, sweet and tangy, plus the flavour combo is a little different which I love.
A seasonal, fibre + vitamin rich dish with nearly 15g of protein (no powders added) to help get you fueled up for the day ahead. It’s nice and simple to make and enjoy with family or friends for a laid back weekend morning.
45g oats (gf or regular)
2 tsp chia seeds
water/milk (enough to cover the oats)
40g egg whites (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
small thumbfull of ginger, grated
60g frozen or fresh blackberries
1/2 lemon – juice
1 tsp honey or 1/3 tsp stevia
scattering of pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp greek yoghurt or dairy-free alternative like coyo
extra drizzle of maple syrup/sweetener of choice if needed
- In either a saucepan or bowl (if microwaving), add the oats and chia seeds and cover with water or milk. Leave for a few minutes for the chia to expand a little.
- In a separate saucepan, add a large handful (60g) of frozen or fresh blackberries, the grated ginger, lemon juice and a splash of water. I also added a little sweetener to take the slight sourness away from the fruit but this is optional.
- Let the fruit simmer for around 10 mins, breaking the blackberries up gently with a spoon.
- Put the oats on a medium heat and keep an eye, stirring occasionally until a thick, creamy consistency forms. If microwaving, go for 1 + 1/2 mins, check, stir and repeat.
- Halfway through cooking the oats, add the vanilla extract and egg whites and stir together.
- Dish up! Pop the cooked oatmeal in your bowl…or just add to it if you were microwaving – swirl through the yoghurt, the warm blackberry sauce and some seeds if you like (I used pumpkin seeds) for extra nutrients and a tasty crunch.