I think we’ve all got the gist that I’m a bit obsessed with oats. They’re just so versatile – porridge, pancakes, cookies, muffins… sweet/savoury? So many options!
Oats are a really great option for breakfast. They are a slow-release carbohydrate. The natural soluble fibre (beta-glucan) content helps slow the release of glucose into the bloodstream, helping keep us fuller for longer. Studies have also shown it to help with lowering the LDL ‘bad’ cholesterol levels.
Here’s a quick overnight oats recipe that you can throw together in no time and pop in the fridge ready for the following morning. This is a great option to balance blood sugar levels but fulfill a tasty, sweet breakfast.
Super yum with lovely festive flavours for a comforting winter breakfast. Like Christmas in a bowl!
Ingredients (for 1):
45g organic oats
1 tsp chia seeds
100ml unsweetened almond milk plus water mixed together to desired consistency
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3rd tsp nutmeg
Pinch of stevia
1/2 fresh small orange (juice only)
2 tsp orange zest
1 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tsp dried cranberries
2 tsp pumpkin seeds
- In a bowl, add the oats, a pinch of stevia/honey and cover with almond milk/water to your desired consistency (bearing in mind a lot of the water will be absorbed by the oats) then stir in the chia seeds.
- Add the spices, squeeze in the juice of half a fresh orange and 1 tsp orange zest and mix well.
- Scatter the cranberries and pumpkin seeds on top with a dollop of natural yoghurt/coyo and an extra tsp of orange zest for added zing!
- Cover the bowl with cling film and store in the fridge overnight for the flavours to deepen and the oats to thicken up.
- Grab from the fridge and tuck into your festive breakkie in the morning.