Autumn has well and truly arrived. Anyone else here in the UK noticed the sudden drop of temperature over the last few days? Aside from the dark mornings which I seriously haven’t got used to yet, I really love autumn time! Cosy clothes, spiced hot drinks, comforting food and yup you guessed it, it also means Christmas (AKA the best time ever) is only a glimpse away…
Breakfast time just got ramped up big time with this tasty sauce. My Pear, Raspberry + Ginger Compote. Perfect to dollop on your porridge/yog bowl for some natural, fruity sweetness or add it as a topping for pancakes. The opportunities are endless!
This recipe is incredibly easy to make and has a high amount of vitamins C + K and fibre for healthy digestion and our immune system. The flavour combination is the dream – I mean who doesn’t like soft, sweet pears and zingy raspberries. It’s enough to get me out of bed that’s for sure.
3 ripe williams pears (keep skin on = more fibre + vitamins) just make sure to wash well.
150g fresh raspberries (or frozen will do)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 lemon – juice
1/2 tsp stevia *optional
1 thumb size piece of ginger (grated)
- In a saucepan, add a little water to cover about an inch of the bottom of the pan and warm gently.
- Chop the pears into cubes and add them to the pan with the grated ginger.
- Turn the heat up to a medium temperature and let the fruit + spice soften for 5 mins.
- Once the pears have softened a little, add in the raspberries along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Let the mixture simmer on low, about 15 mins, until the fruit has stewed down and is a nice, thick consistency; you can use your mixing spoon to gently break up the fruit to give it a helping hand.
- Once it’s reached your desired consistency, give it a taste test! I find the balance works well but If you like it a little more zingy, add some more lemon juice, or sweeter, a little more stevia.
- Let the compote cool and then store in a Kilner jar or tight-lidded container (keep for up to 5-7 days in