These Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos are probably one of my favourite recipes I’ve created. They have everything I love about a good meal; texture variety, full of flavour, lots of colour and packed with nutritents to make our cells happy. PLUS they are so filling despite being on the low carb side, with protein remaining high and a good portion of healthy fats to keep you satiated. During the hot weather I find heavy, rich meals a little tough on digestion, so something light and zesty is perfect to keep my tummy happy. I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients for 1-2 people (depending how hungry you are!):
180-200g chicken breast cut into strips
3 large cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
1/2 a red onion, chopped into chunky slices
8 cherry tomatoes on the vine
1 giant flat mushroom sliced
2 large handfuls baby spinach
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 garlic glove
1/2 lemon (juice)
1 tsp tabasco
5 gem lettuce cups
a few coriander sprigs
1/2 avocado (about 30 grams) chopped into cubes.
coconut oil 1 tsp
olive oil spray
- Start by prepping your veggies and chop up to size.
- In a non stick frying pan, add 1tsp coconut oil. Once melted, add the red onion slices and cauliflower. Coat with 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp paprika until well covered.
- Whilst you’ve made a start on the veg, grab a grill tray and line with tin foil. Spray your olive oil across the base (or 1 tsp liquid) and arrange the chicken breast pieces across. Chop your garlic clove and scatter across the chicken with the remaining 1 tsp of paprika, a squeeze of lemon and S+P if you like, rub into the chicken to coat it with a little more oil on top.
- Pop your chicken under the grill for about 15-20 minutes on 200c. Flip the chicken over half way through and check on it now and then to ensure no burning or over cooking.
- While the chicken is grilling, add the rest of the veg to your frying pan; mushrooms, tomato and spinach. Add 1 tsp chilli flakes and mix well. Cook on a medium temperature for about 12 mins.
- While you have the two main parties sizzling, lets get organised to plate up! Chop your avocado into cubes and set aside.
- Wash your lettuce cups thoroughly and arrange on your plate. Once your veg mix is cooked, distribute it into the cups evenly.
- Add your chicken pieces to your tacos (if you have too much, save some for lunch tomorrow!)
- Scatter across the avocado, coriander, more lemon and 1 tsp of tabasco.
- Voila! ‘Loaded Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos’ complete! DIG IN.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Do let me know if you make it, I love seeing your creations!